Thursday, February 27, 2014

Liebster Award Part II:

It's THROWBACK THURSDAY!!! Hoorrrayy!


I've been very productive lately, and I thought that I need to get back FINALLY into the blogging world to share some great stuff that I've been working on lately! Last year, I had a self-contained position where I just had TOO much on my plate to ever blog about it. It was a great year, but it was a struggle to keep up.

Then, this year I hit the ground RUNNING (literally). I moved during the same week that I was supposed to be packing for my wedding and honeymoon, I came home from my honeymoon, and immediately (I mean the very next day) started working at my new job!

So I left this...


to come home to this...

And I will say that adjusting to A) a new school district B) a whole new staff C) a completely different position, and D) all new students ....was pretty time consuming! Add in learning your new name to the mix - my brain was a little chaotic there for a little while - not gonna lie. It's no excuse!! But I've also been trying to be a decent newlywed wife and spend some time with my new hubby this year :)

So either way... it's no wonder that I totally forgot about Heather! Heather is an awesome blogger from A Special Kind of Place :) She's also a resource teacher, so I have lots to learn from her.
You can click her button above to go visit her blog! Anyway, she had nominated me for the Liebster literally the DAY AFTER Katie did! I have totally forgotten about it, but I remember now, that I had to write not one but TWO apology emails to these amazing ladies, explaining that there was NO WAY I could sit down and blog any time soon. I was hoping to get back into it after I moved, and got back from the wedding, but ... well... you know. (If it makes you feel better, many of my Thank -You cards from wedding gifts were at least about 3 months late!!)

So I thought this (being Thursday) would be a great time to turn back time and reflect on Heather's Nomination. Since I've already nominated 5 bloggers, I'm just going to add my answers to Heather's questions! So here they are! :)

1. What is your favorite memory?

The day ... or I should say WEEK ... that I got married. :) I couldn't imagine a better experience. My whole heart smiles EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I think about it.

2. If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be?

Apart from ...my husband? .....Ummmm, I really don't know. Meeting new people make me nervous sometimes!! I think I would be too shy to meet a celebrity!

3. What would you do if you won the lottery?

Buy a house. The #1 thing on my mind these days.. more about that in upcoming posts.... Secondly, I would spend a good chunk of money on a cause that would benefit children in some way. Probably Autism Speaks, or something. And lastly, I would be sure that my dad is taken care of for the rest of our lives.

4. What is your favorite movie? 

Favorites are so difficult. But our PTA asked us this question this week, and I answered with Pitch Perfect. It was the only (recent) movie that's had me dying of laughter (can't believe it's already more than a year old...), so I think that was a good choice!

5. Who inspires you to do what you do?

My Dad. He always told us growing up: "30% of people live to make the world a better place. 70% just live in it." Honestly, I made those percentages up. I can never remember what he told us. But seriously, how many people have desk jobs and clock out at the end of the day, and don't think about work again until they walk in the office the next day? NOT teachers, I'll tell you that! I chose to teach children with special needs about a month after I graduated from high school. As soon as the idea hit me, I KNEW it was the right choice, because it would improve the lives of families who struggle with everyday difficulties that come with having a child with a disability. There are so many children now with disabilities, that I knew it would be rewarding and make a difference at the same time. :) When times are tough, I always remember what my dad always said!

6. How many different jobs have you had in your life?

Too many to count. I started working at Coldstone at 16 years old, a pizza place at 17 (that's where my husband and I met), Ruby Tuesday throughout college, a school in Evans County, a couple of day cares (as summer camp counselor, and a Pre-K paraprofessional for a short time), and two different positions at a Richmond County School, and now here. But everywhere in between, I have been a nanny, baby-sitter, tutorer, ABA interventionist, and worked for my Dad here and there. And I feel like I'm missing a few....

7. If you could be a flavor of pie, what would you be?

Well, I don't like pie. I would say apple pie, but I think I'd much rather just be a slice of cheesecake :)

8. How many countries have you visited?

More than I know. All over Europe as a baby (which I don't remember, of course), and Italy in 1st grade, Mexico a few times, Bahamas many many times, and other Caribbean countries (from a cruise). I think that's all.

9. What is your best advice to a new teacher?

You will not survive without building relationships/ collaboration. I build relationships with families starting on open house (by bringing cups, juice, chex-mix, and cookies) and checking in via phone within the very first week. I also do a "Glow and Grow" during conferences, so it's mostly positive. Lastly, I meet with other teachers, therapists, and administrators to bounce ideas off of each other to help the kiddos. It's REALLY tough, but I try to meet with every teacher once per week. I build it into my schedule before and after school. And if we have nothing to catch up on, it's good to chat and vent every once in a while :)

10. If you could live in any time era other than now, what would it be? 

I'm not exactly a fan of history, and honestly don't care to live in any other era than this one. If I had to choose, I definitely wouldn't want to go back further than the 50's. I used to watch That 70's Show! I'd LOVE to experience growing up in the 70's. Plus, I grew up on Oldies. I'd be the kid that listen's to the radio 100% of the time.

11. What is the best thing about teaching? 

The very best thing about teaching is enjoying what I do. I get this feeling almost every day, and at the end of the day, it's not about who progressed in what, it's about ME accomplishing my lifelong DREAM of making a difference in the world. And if I have fun while I'm doing it, and if I'm able to share my knowledge with other teachers and parents, I'll say that's gotta be the best feeling. I may have suffered for 4 years throughout college, and endless nights working at a restaurant to afford it, but either way: I made it through, and it was TOTALLY worth it :)

Have a great night! Until next time....

~Sarah

PS: Stay tuned for some sneak peaks at what I'm working on, as well as a description of what I do these days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments/feedback! I greatly appreciate it! :)